<span class="highlight">battery</span> charging temperature

Submitted: Saturday, Oct 25, 2008 at 18:38
ThreadID: 62877 Views:1579 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. Just wondering how many of you use a battery charger which monitors battery temperature? Living in a fairly hot climate, I'm told by the 'locals' that batteries don't last as long up here. I was doing some reading and saw that some battery chargers can monitor battery temperature and cut out if things get too hot. I was wondering if this would be useful up here. Or would I just get a continual interruption to the charging process because of going frequently? Thoughts everyone. ta. doc.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Kiwi Kia - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:21

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:21
Dissipation of heat during charging can be a problem. However, modern construction methods have alleviated most of the problems associated with the warping of plates due to temperature. Also, consider just how high the temperature can get under the bonnet on a vehicle. The battery mount is usually rather close to a very hot engine but we accept that as being normal. I often wonder just how a charger can accurately measure the temperature inside a battery with out any physical contact with the battery core. A charging current calculation does not take into account the robustness or thickness of the plates and separators, number of plates or physical size of the battery or the ability to dissipate excess heat.
AnswerID: 331929

Reply By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:34

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:34
My C-Tec charger monitors temp. But I'm pretty sure it is ambient temp, not battery temp it is monitoring. Have no idea how it could monitor battery temp.

The charger adjusts charge voltage depending on the temp it measures. Instructions say that if for some reason it cannot detect the temp, it will default to an assumption of 25 degrees C.

These are excellent chargers, but they are expensive.

Norm C
AnswerID: 331932

Follow Up By: Dunaruna - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:51

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 08:51
The temp sensor is supposed to be taped to the side of the battery so as to measure battery case temp.
FollowupID: 599774

Follow Up By: Member - Norm C (QLD) - Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:03

Sunday, Oct 26, 2008 at 10:03
The user manual says to 'ensure the temp sensor is as close as possible to the battery'. This is pretty much a given due to its location (close to the battery clamps).

If taping to the battery was necessary for the sensor to work, I'd have thought it would be part of the instructions. Not a bad idea though, all the same. Certainly get it 'as close as possible'.

On my last trip I noticed that the temp compensation light on my charger is on, which indicates the sensor (or compensation) is not working. Guess I'll have to get it checked out. In the meantime, the charger works, just does not compensate for temperature. It defaults to 25 C.

Norm C
FollowupID: 599789

Reply By: ajr - Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 13:15

Monday, Oct 27, 2008 at 13:15
This post has been read by the moderation team and has been moderated due to a breach of The Advertising/Self-Promotion Rule .

Forum Moderation Team
AnswerID: 332125

Sponsored Links